Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Fiber Up!













Dear Chase:

I would have to say that my newest obsession among all my other obsessions is that of the bran muffin. Why bran muffins you ask? Well, I have always been a fan of muffins, breads, cookies and just all things that are not so diet friendly. So, I decided to make my own version of a healthy, high in fiber kind of muffin. I needed something that I would enjoy eating everyday and that is actually good for me.  I have always known of the benefits of fiber but I did shy away from muffins of any kind due to the high carb factor. But now that I have this great bran muffin recipe that gives me a substantial dose of heart healthy fiber along the indulgence of having a perfectly sized muffin. Most muffins that you can purchase in a bakery are just too big and just full of unnecessary calories.  Just so you know Chase, fiber is a key element that everybody should have in their diet and it can be challenging trying to incorporate it on a regular basis. I am constantly looking for ways to better my health...from my weekly yoga sessions to my daily intake of water to making sure our family gets enough fruits and vegetables everyday. So..in order to keep the fiber, carbs and calories in check...I give you my version of a bran muffin.

Preheat oven 375 degrees and bake muffins for about 15-18 minutes

1 1/2 cups Oat or Wheat Bran
1 c. Buttermilk
1/2 c. Canola Oil
1 Egg
1/2 c. Dark Brown Sugar
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
1tsp. Honey
1 tsp. Molasses
1 c. Flour
1tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 c. Raisins


Directions:


In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt...set aside. Place oat or wheat bran in a bowl with buttermilk and let soak for 5 minutes. (This allows the bran to soften up a bit before mixing). Next, whisk together egg, sugar, vanilla extract and oil then add in the oat bran mixture. Make sure to fully incorporate all the moist ingredients. Lastly, add the flour mixture and then the raisins. Divide evenly in a muffin pan with lined baking cups and bake for 15-18 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment