Thursday, July 29, 2010

Night Cap!











Dear Chase:

There is only one thing I can think of to unwind at night after a long day at work. Most people would put their feet up and enjoy a cold beer, a nice glass of wine, read a book or even pop in the newest rental from Blockbuster. I would rather scourer the fridge for anything I can find to either make or bake as my way of unwinding for the evening. So, I was looking in our refrigerator and all I could find was whole milk and some heavy cream. I thought and thought about what to make and then I spotted this box of Dutch cocoa powder in the cabinet along with some sugar, bourbon vanilla and some of my favorite Maldon sea salt...and before you even finished your milk for the night; I had a pot of decadent chocolate pudding with fresh homemade whipped cream to top it off. It was the perfect night cap to a rather long day. It is funny how when you do the things you love, it never feels like work...it just make you feel good, happy and satisfied.

Follow the recipe below for your own little night cap.

Ingredients:
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup organic sugar cane sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp cornstarch
3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder

Directions:

In a saucepan, stir together sugar, cocoa, cornstarch and salt. Place over medium heat, and slowly whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, and continue stirring until mixture thickens to your desired consistency. I like mine really thick, almost gelatin like. Remove from heat, and stir in bourbon vanilla. Let it cool briefly...serve warm, or chill in refrigerator until serving. Add whip cream and a dusting of cocoa powder on top.

1 comment:

  1. Perfect consistency and chocolate taste. The fresh whipped cream was so light that it began to melt and I had to eat the pudding quickly, which wasn't too hard to do... twice.

    ReplyDelete