Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Sugar and Spice

Dear Chase:

Sugar and spice....makes everything nice... I think that is how the saying goes. As always you inspire me to not only bake to my hearts content but you have helped me tap back into the simple pleasures of a song, a nursery rhythm and the fun read of a child's book. We just finished reading your favorite book, "Lama Lama Red Pajama".... you were so anxious to turn the page, that I had to read at full speed just to keep up with you. Now that you have drifted off into slumber, I decided to make molasses-spice cookies that has been in the freezer for over 2 weeks. I normally do not bake on a hectic Monday night but once the kneading of the dough begins.....I can already feel my night winding down.




Finally, the cookies are done..Oh, My Goodness ....crispy on the outside with the perfect blend of cinnamon, molasses and just a touch of ginger.



Follow this Recipe and you will soon taste the best molasses spice cookie ever!

2 cup(s) all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger crystals 
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 1/2 cup(s) sugar (I prefer sugar cane sugar)

3/4 cup(s) (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened

1 large egg, at room temperture

1/4 cup(s) molasses


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and salt. In a shallow bowl, place 1/2 cup sugar; set aside.

With an electric mixer, beat butter and remaining cup of sugar until combined. Beat in egg and then molasses until fullycombined. Reduce speed to low; gradually mix in dry ingredients, just until a dough forms. Do not over mix.

Pinch off and roll dough into balls, each equal to 1 tablespoon. Roll balls in reserved sugar to coat.

Arrange balls on baking sheets, about 3 inches apart. Bake, one sheet at a time, until edges of cookies are just firm, 10 to 15 minutes. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I got the lucky opportunity to try one of these tasty bites. Crisp on the outside, giving way to a slightly softer center. Great balance of ginger and molasses flavors.

    ReplyDelete