Sunday, August 8, 2010

In Good Company







Dear Chase:

It is Saturday night and we are on our way back from picking up sushi at our favorite spot, Enoshima's in the Marina when I saw this new cupcake store called "Susie Cakes". I have never heard of them before so of course, I made a pit stop to see what it was all about. As I walked in the first thing I noticed were the head wraps that all the employees were wearing. I thought it was very original and super cute....it reminded me of the "I love Lucy" era. Next, I noticed that  I was surrounded by 8 layered cakes in flavors such as, red velvet, coconut creme and double chocolate fudge, not to mention the variety of cupcakes they had too. You know there are so many cupcakes places in San Francisco from Kara's Cupcakes to That Takes the Cake to now Susie Cakes. I have to admit that I have tried them all and yet I don't really have a favorite place because they are all good in their own way. I love the carrot cupcake from "Kara's", the red velvet from "That Take the Cake" and the mocha cupcake from "Susie Cakes" (pictured above). The baker in me always feels that I can make it too, so why buy it. But at the same time I also believe it is important to taste other people's food as it may inspire your baking in other ways as well. If I had to pick one cupcake flavor that I enjoy making the most and the one that gives me the greatest reviews....that would have to be my chocolate cupcake with either a vanilla cream cheese frosting or  a dark or white chocolate frosting. Now....all this cupcake talk is giving me a craving, not for chocolate but more like a vanilla cupcake with a vanilla bean frosting. Stay tuned....

No comments:

Post a Comment