Monday, August 9, 2010

Yes to Carrots

















Dear Chase:

In my hand I have the long lost recipe (or so I thought) for our family's version of carrot cake. This recipe has been around for years and I haven't gotten a hold of the exact ingredients until now. It is definitely a different spin on the classic carrot cake that we are all familiar with but nonetheless just as delicious. The classic carrot cake we all know contains cinnamon, raisins, walnuts or pecans and yes carrots, they are all baked together and topped off with a smooth vanilla cream cheese frosting. It is absolutely one of my favorite cake flavors but it still comes in second to this recipe; carrot pudding cake is what I like to call it. What is carrot pudding cake and how does it taste? Is it pudding or is it cake? Those were always the most commonly asked questions whenever our family would make this dessert. I would always tell the doubtful ones to just give it a try and you will be amazed at how the natural sweetness of the carrots makes this cake...or is it pudding? You be the judge....

This is a picture of the carrot pudding before I put it in the oven, I sprinkled a few walnuts on top for texture. Bake it for 35 minutes at 350 degrees or until the tester insert comes out clean.The top of the pudding should be dry with a nicely formed crust.


Ingredients:
1/2 c. All Purpose Flour, sifted
1/4 tsp Sea Salt
1 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 c. Sugar (I like to use organic sugar cane sugar)
1/4 c. Coconut Milk
2 Large Eggs
1 tsp. Vanilla
3 c. Carrots, grated
1/4 c. Walnuts, optional

Directions:
In a small blow mix together the flour, salt and baking powder together and set aside. In another larger bowl mix together the sugar and coconut milk together until creamy, and add in eggs one at a time. Stir in vanilla. Next, stir in the flour mixture in two parts with a whisk just until combined. (do not over mix). Lastly, fold in the carrots and spread evenly into your pan. Sprinkle walnuts on top, if desired.



4 comments:

  1. Hi: YUM YUM YUM...this recipe looks amazing...I'm going to give it a try. 2 quick questions: what type of pan do you use (metal v. glass) and are the baking instruction for an electric/gas oven...(I find from experience that they cook differently). Also, what do you suggest topping this with...do you have any suggestions that would be in the cream cheese icing theme? Thx:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. GIRL. I'm trying to lose weight, and you're posting all these delicious recipes I just HAVE TO try. :P

    xoxo,

    Amy Dunn
    www.amydunn.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi There-

    Thank you for reading this post...and yes they were very yummy, I had (3) pieces myself:) As for the pan, I would recommend glass simply becuase that is what I always use and I actually did a cream cream whipped cream ...to keep the flavors lighter versus using a butter based icing. I have a gas oven and I'm not too familiar with electric ones but I did baked the pudding for a full 35 minutes. Let me know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ames:

    Thanks for joining and you are the last person that needs to loose weight but this is a super diet friendly recipe. No butter or oils.. so try it and enjoy it! Guilt-free

    ReplyDelete