Friday, August 13, 2010

Whoopie Cushion












Dear Chase:

Whoopie pies....what are whoopie pies? I've heard of them during my many travels to numerous bakeries around the Bay Area but I haven't actually tried one until recently. It is an odd name for a dessert but nonetheless very tasty. Apparently, whoopie pies are considered a New England phenomenon. It's like a sandwich, but made with two soft cookies and a super fluffy white filling made up of butter,vanilla and marshmallow creme. They remind me of the little hostess type cakes called "ding dongs" that I loved growing up. I don't really even see those on the shelves of grocery stores anymore so this would be the next closest thing. Whoppie pies are also considered Maine's best known and loved comfort foods. When I think of comfort food, I think of macaroni and cheese, mashed potatoes or chicken pot pie. Since I learned that this is the ultimate comfort food for many Mainer's, I had to give this recipe a try. There are so many different version of this beloved treat from chocolate to pumpkin flavored but I am going to take the traditional chocolate route. Whoopie pies are usually made with shortening but I am going to make this batch with butter because all things taste better with a little parkay in it.

Ingredients:
2 c. All-Purpose Flour
1/2 c.Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
1 1/4 tsp. Baking Soda
1tsp. Sea Salt
1 c. Buttermilk (or you can use whole milk with a tbsp of vinegar)
1tsp. Vanilla Extract
1/2 c. Unsalted Butter
1 c. Dark Brown Sugar
1 Egg

For the Filling:
1/2 c. Unsalted Butter
1 c. Confectioner's Sugar
1 1/2 c. Marshmallow Fluff
1 tsp. Vanilla



Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees

In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt, set aside. In another small bowl combine milk, vinegar and vanilla (or you can use buttermilk).

Using your mixer beat together the butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add in egg and blend until smooth. Reduce the speed to low and mix in the flour and milk mixture alternating between the two and ending with the flour mixture. Mix until fully combined and scrape down the side of the bowl to make sure all ingredients are incorporated. Next, scoop a small mound onto your cookie scooper and place the batter about 2 inches apart onto parchment lined cookie sheets. Bake for 12 minutes or until the cakes are puffy and spring back when touched. Remove and let cool completely.



Make sure you mix all the ingredients until the cake batter is a bit glossy in texture

I use a cookie scooper to make these mini shaped cakes, you can use any utensil of your choice.


Transfer cakes to a cookie rack and allow to cool completely before filling them with the vanilla marshmallow creme.


Be sure to mix the filling for at least 5 minutes until combined and smooth. 


These mini whoopie pies are very easy to make and with just the right amount of comfort that I needed. Happy Baking!!!

   

 

2 comments:

  1. i didn't know what these were either, but I just made them as well the other day. Looks like we got a couple things in common, the bay area and cookies!! -Tawny @ http://theyearofthecookie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tawny:

    Thank you so much for checking out my blog, it is nice to meet a fellow blogger that loves baking as much as I do. I hope yours turned out well...I plan to make them again for my son's birthday next month. I will check out your blog too and become a follower ;)

    ReplyDelete